- A license cannot be renewed earlier than 90 days before the expiration date.
- If you own the amateur radio license, ensure you get it renewed 3 months (approximately 90-day) before it becomes inactive or expires.
- Licenses past the expiration date are placed in an “ineligible” list for a period of time.
- A license that has expired and gone beyond the two-year grace period will be canceled in the FCC system. The licensee will not automatically qualify for a new license. At a minimum, previous license holders must take the current 35-question Technician exam at a VE exam session to return to Amateur Radio. The FCC will issue a new call sign and a new license when the Technician exam is passed.
- Some renewal applications require a fee. ULS will automatically determine if a fee is required and tell you the amount once you complete your application. Most Amateur Radio license renewals are free.
Renewing a License in the Universal Licensing System (ULS)